June 25, 2007

Thank God for Good Directions . . . And Turnip Greens

In order to get edumacated and rich, I read the Ebay forums quite a bit. Several different boards in order to learn how to best raise my sales, find products, handle persnickety people, how to ward off Nigerian scams, etc., etc. They are a wealth of information. I was always so jealous when people would post how they happened upon the motherload of selling items. They were walking down a dark alley one night, heard a noise, jumped into a doorway, the door fell down and they found 1,000,000 Elmo dolls. They received a call from dear Aunt Jolene, who happened to have 16,000 1961 Betty Crocker cookbooks she needed to get rid of – in mint condition. They were driving along and a box of Tommy Bahama clothing fell off the turnip truck.

I have hoped and prayed that my day would come.
And boy howdy, did it. I was driving along on Saturday with my trusty phone book map, detailed with all the spots where I was to hit, used in conjunction with the paper that is marked numerically. I could very well be a freak. If I spot a sale that is not on my carefully numbered list, I peek and stop, if and only if, it is not stained baby clothes and broken toys. An hour and a half into my journeys on Saturday, an extremely hot and humid morning, more like a Houston morning than a desert, I saw a sale, the signs were good. No strollers or car seats. I stopped. I was in the garage when I heard that they were selling what was in the house as well. An Estate Sale. Sweet.

These don’t happen that frequently in my small town, but they are the best source of stuff! This house was packed, thousands of LP’s in the living room, they had a hat collection that had to number in the thousands as well. I had found a few crafty items in the garage. In the living room, I happened upon a bookshelf full of books, I loaded my arms full. And went about my business. Until I hit the dining room. MECCA!

Boxes upon boxes of patterns, crafty books, vintage fabrics. The entire room was packed. There was barely any space to walk. I heard the angels sing. Heaven! On Saturday, I walked away with 3 boxes of stuff, for $10.00, a bargain at any rate. I told my love that I was not allowed to go shopping again the following weekend as I was getting behind on all that I had, even before I hit the motherload.

On Sunday, I knew the estate was reducing prices. So, I was alone and bored yesterday. Now, the additional 5 boxes and 3 bags of stuff should keep me busy. Folks, I filled the truck bed with all that for $3.00. That is also more than they were asking for. $3.00. Wowsers.

My house is stuffed. All those places where I had cleaned out crap and returned it to Salvation Army, now are filled. And I am so not allowed to go shopping this weekend! I have enough to keep me working for a month at least. Woohoo. I hit the motherload. It must be a blessing that I am so undesirably unhire-able in this town.

6 comments:

Kaytabug said...

Way to Go!! I am so excited for you! I guess that means more pep talks this week?!

I hope I hit the motherload while I visit the land of Oz later on in July! If nothing else I'll have great fodder now won't I?!

Samantha said...

Hi, you commented on crazy aunt purl's website about left handed knitting? Well, i'm left handed, and I knit just like everyone else (english style, holding yarn in right hand). it's great to see that there's other lefties who knit out there!

Sauntering Soul said...

Congrats! I'm excited for you too!

Anonymous said...

I can not with you will disagree.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at fiannas.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Mark

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio