July 23, 2007

Fun Monday: Bestest of Buds

So, Willowtree has asked us to:

"Tell us about your best friend. Particularly things like: where you first met, how long you've been friends and why you think you are best friends"


When I think of my best friends, I consider several of my friends very important to me. Two others are notable, but the two who are my bestest are Kaytabug and Not Craig.

I have posted before about how I met Not Craig. He is my best friend, he is my mate, he is the person I wake up to and fall asleep with and can spend the whole day chatting away with in between. We can spend an entire day at home, talking and still have more to say when we have to go to bed. He makes me laugh until I cry. He lets me cry until it is time to make me laugh. He puts up with my bad moods, my stubbornness, my ridiculous issues, all with tender care. He makes me want to be a better person. He is a wonderful man and I am so lucky to have him as one of my best friends.

Kaytabug and I met way before I have any recollection of living. I have vague memories of our childhood, various bits and pieces of hanging out during the summer, after school, on the weekends. Various memories of all four seasons. Everyday from the first couple years of life until I was fifteen, when my family moved. I have lots of memories of my friendship with Kaytabug. Riding our bikes across town every day in the summer. The skating rink. Her teaching me to ice-skate when the creek behind our houses froze over. Sneaking out. Her doctoring up my knees after a really bad bicycle crash. Sneaking cigarettes behind her house. Our first boyfriends. So many varied memories.

The strange thing about our relationship is that it continued when I moved. I have a box full of letters from before email existed. We wrote back and forth constantly after I moved. Updating each other on the minutae of our existence. Once we upgraded to email, we continued our communications back and forth via email. And now, we chat via instant messenger. I suppose due to the long distance aspect of our relationship, we have not chatted on the phone much over the past years. Even now that she is in the States, we use IM primarily. Now that she has a blog, I love to learn new things about her and her life that we never think to discuss.

Two summers ago, after I uprooted my life (discussed in the Not Craig post), I took a week off and drove from Houston to Kansas to see her and other old friends. I stayed with her at her mom’s house, on the same street we grew up on. The same house where we had many sleepovers, built haunted houses in her basement and played in the backyard. We picked up like we always have, just meshing so well.

While our lives have taken different paths, our collective history keeps us as friends. I always wonder if we would be friends still if I stayed in Small Town, KS. I also always wonder if we will stay friends for the remainder of this journey.

She fascinates me with her wisdom, her wit, her ability to always say the right thing. She has sent me gifts after not seeing me or my home for years and always gets it right.

Our relationship has spanned nearly the entire 3 decades we have existed. I know that we will continue to be friends for the remainder of our existence. I just hope one day we can sit on one of our front porches and drink coffee in the morning, instead of doing it over a thousand miles and a keyboard.

16 comments:

Kaytabug said...

Yes, I was right... your post was far better than mine! You captured it so beautifully!

If I have anything to say about it we will be Best Friends Forever... as in even after we are ashes. I dream of the day we can spend mornings together chatting over coffee. That is the one thing that would make our friendship perfection, actually having a couple of adult years spent in close physical proximity to hang with each other, have girls nite out, actually drink alcoholic beverages together and be legal doing it unlike when we were 10.

I love you! xoxoxoxoxoxox

Molly said...

When you speak of your friendship with Kaytabug, I remember things that I did not write about like riding bikes, ice skating, sneaking cigarettes... These are fond memories of my childhood friendships too.

I enjoyed meeting your Not Craig in your link. "He makes me want to be a better person." may be at the center of every good friendship.

Amy W said...

Happy to read both sides of the friendship!

Beccy said...

After reading both yours and Kaytabug's posts I'm convinced your journey will continue for a long time.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It was great to read both sides of this friendship. Very sweet post!

willowtree said...

Well that was interesting! It's always a surprise to learn that bloggers know each other in real life, but to be best friends of such long standing is something else again!

ChrisB said...

This is a lovely story of friendship I have read the other half.

Beckie said...

Well, so you both agree that you are friends - at least it's not one sided...(totally joking).

I think a true sign of friendship is when you can be away from each other and get together and mesh well.

Well said.

Sauntering Soul said...

Both of y'all have written the sweetest posts about your friendship. It's making me tear up just a little bit!

I'm fortunate enough that one of my dear girlfriends who I met in kindergarten lives only about an hour away (in fact I just saw her yesterday). I also have several long term friendships (25+ years which means I'm getting really old) and they mean the world to me. The value of true, close, friendships can never be underestimated and they are often what gets you through the bumps in life.

I'm so happy y'all have each other!

theotherbear said...

I came here straight from Kaytabug's post, hoping that you would have written about her!
Lovely posts - what a fab friendship you two have!

Emma in Canada said...

I'll have to go read katyabug's post now, but I have a feeling I will think she is as lucky as you are!

Pamela said...

stopping in for Fun Monday...

my best friend recently gave me an old box of my letters written in the 60's..... and I have them in my dresser. I don't even remember writing them.

Anonymous said...

I have read both sides of the story. How beautiful, and I am sure you will always remain friends. Happy Fun Monday.

irreverentmama said...

Not many friendships stand long distance separations. Yours is something special!

Tiggerlane said...

Great story on friendship! Had no clue that you knew kaytabug. How cool!

AfKaP said...

Both your and Kaytabug's posts were marvelous!! I moved to Houston when I was a teen too - What a difficult hting that was! It is so hard to separate from friends at that age!!

Hope your Kitty is feeling better (has the makings of another really good best friend!!)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio