April 2, 2008

Walk This Way

After reading a post from Trent at The Simple Dollar, I took my Ebay earnings and bought myself a pedometer.

This resulted in the following statement from my beloved:

You are well on your way to fitness. You bought some useless crap to make you want to work out.

The thing is, it is not useless! I love it, am obsessed with it, feel guilty about it, and work very hard to get my allotted steps in. This pedometer entertains myself and those around me.

It is 134 steps from my office to the nearest eatery. A fact that has called my boss to rally for a restaurant in our building lobby. Because 134 steps. Too many.

My coworkers check my status throughout the day. Pushing me to either walk more or for me to just lie to them…

You download the data into your computer which then shows you a nifty chart. You set your goals, mine are 10,000 steps daily, which translates into 5.68 miles. This is not easy. On slow days, I have been as low as 1,500 steps. My busiest day so far – 13,475. Without any aerobic steps, which translates into - I have been worked too damn hard recently. (Aerobic steps start counting after 10 minutes of continuous walking with more than 60 steps a minute.)

Of course, like all good things, too much of a good thing can be a problem…my beloved may have also commented…

You realize you have that damn pedometer strapped to your panties?


2 comments:

Sauntering Soul said...

I can't believe you posted about this. One of my co-workers and I were just talking about pedometers yesterday afternoon. Turns out I should read my emails more carefully....they were giving them away in our building a couple of weeks ago and she was telling us how many steps she had walked so far yesterday. I've been thinking of getting one and I could have had one for FREE!

Margaret said...

I have always wondered how many steps I take a day. Perhaps I should get one and we can compare notes. I think I will try not to hook it to my panties, though I will have to put it on my pajamas.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio